- Direct interfaces to Mentor Xpedition, Boardstation and other popular board layout tools that automatically extract and build:
- Board outline, cutouts, and thickness
- Component position, size, and orientation
- Layer stackup
- Detailed descriptions of the copper content (traces, pads, vias, etc) in image format. These images are transformed into a thermal conductivity map (with user controlled resolution) for the board with a novel and unique image processing technique.
- Property sheet driven construction of electronics objects and cooling solutions:
- Thermal vias
- Shielding cans
- Potting compounds
- Fully integrated library capability
- Pre-installed with a comprehensive component library
- Fully customizable
- Direct library item swapping
- Automatic library item swapping for components
- Import capability for part models and library folders generated with other Mentor thermal tools such as Simcenter Flotherm and Simcenter Flotherm PACK.
- Update functionality for the board layout. A layout change can be imported without loss of other model settings and data (e.g., heatsink geometry, power definitions, etc.)
Parametrically defined thermal environment to house the PCB, with options available for:
- Card slots
- Natural convection
- Forced convection
For more advanced scenarios, pre-solved Simcenter Flotherm analyses can be imported to form a complex, 3D description of the surrounding air flow and temperature fields.
The state of the art Simcenter Flotherm PCB solver predicts airflow and temperature in a matter of minutes for most designs -- no user interaction required for gridding or solving.
Create customized results with a single mouse-click. Plots are available for:
- Junction temperatures
- Case temperatures
- Average temperatures
- Thermal margins
Generate sortable, tabular views of the data automatically. Multiple designs can displayed side by side for easy results comparison. Fully customizable reports are available for export. Reports can contain any combination of board inputs, environment settings, or result plots and tables. Reports are available in HTML or CSV formats.
Command line operation is supported. Users can load designs, import board data, solve, and create reports without opening the software.
Simcenter Flotherm PCB takes into account the blocking effect of components and heatsinks on the local airflow in common environments, such as card slots, natural or forced convection scenarios, and 3D temperature and flow field results from Simcenter Flotherm. In late design and during post design verification, Simcenter Flotherm PCB can import PCB trace details from the PCB design flow, for example, from the Siemens Expedition toolset, for the highest fidelity thermal design work.